Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Just 12



Can you remember when you were that age? I'm not sure I can. But my sweet, red-haired son and I sat five rows from courtside tonight as the Warriors beat the Kings, 126-113.



He was mesmerized. One of my favorite things about being a parent is being able to blow my kid's mind. Tonight, I think that happened for Aidan.



He's a key member of his school's JV basketball team, with a fade away jumper and a driving lay-up and an attitude that his coaches call "leadership." So, it was magical that tonight he got to see up close some similar players (like Baron Davis) at a much higher level, of course, and in so much detail that we could smell the sweat, hear the curses, watch the blood that was spilled, and contemplate the individual personalities of the various participants as they were revealed under the pressure of NBA basketball played out there under the lights, with nowhere to hide.




Of course, there were the usual distractions, more for me than for Aidan. For example, he didn't seem to give the cheerleaders a second glance, but I can report they seemed to be having genuine fun as they wiggled and cheered and danced for the crowd in their skimpy outfits.

Sadly, for those interested in precise detail, they moved much too rapidly for me to capture more than an impressionistic version of their choreographed beauty. I guess you had to be there...

-30-

No comments: