Sunday, February 25, 2007

As you can see...



It rained last night and then it rained a bit again tonight. The delicate, perky white blossoms on our plum tree suddenly popped out from the flat branches heretofore naked and reaching slimly toward the sky.



Down below, the rich clover fields proliferated in an almost unimaginable optimism, given the sorry state of our physical planet, thanks to you, me, and the rest of homo sapiens. One of my kids held up a 12-inch straw of sour grass and suggested to me this might be a "world record."



My ten-year-old son has never excelled at athletics, but he has a dream to make next year's JV basketball team. He's fast and he can shoot the ball accurately, but to play basketball there are some other skills, which I fear he may find difficult to master. Regardless, in our family, we all try to support each other's drive to success, so his 12-year-old brother, a certifiable basketball star, and I, have been trying to teach him a few moves.



Regardless of how that turns out, his true dream is to be a movie director. So tonight, like millions of others, we watched the Oscars on TV. The award he most cared about was the director Oscar. Martin Scorsese!

I couldn't have chosen a better role model for my little boy.

Finally, I am one parent who was cheered by the sight of Ellen DeGeneres, this year's host, when she said: "What a wonderful night. Such diversity in the room in a year when there's been so many negative things said about people's race, religion and sexual orientation.

"And I want to put this out there: If there weren't blacks, Jews and gays, there would be no Oscars," she said, adding: "Or anyone named Oscar, when you think about that."

Amen.

Congratulations, Al Gore. It's about time we all get to work doing what the man who legitimately should be our President advocates in his Academy Award winning documentary!

-30-

No comments: