Monday, February 19, 2007

Make Love with a Robot 2.0



Anticipating a difficult and long drive home today, I tried to improve my chances of not having to explode by buying each of the kids a toy at a general store. Thus, we acquired a small stuffed animal which appeared to be an impossible mutant of several incompatible species; another bag of war-ready soldiers; and last but not least, this supposed replica of an Old West pistol (with an "authentic walnut grip").

Right.



After a long business call, during which my three little road warriors were relatively cooperative, I discovered that two of them had invented a game I remember from my youth. "Fort."



By the time we hit the road south, the ice had melted off of my windshield, and the sky opened up in all of its glory. Thus, we started glimpsing mightly Mount Shasta, 14000+ feet tall, for the first time on any of our drives up and down this coast.


When it finally came into focus, we all stared in awe.

***

Alas, even the best three little kids on the planet have to get into fights, it seems, when confined to the backseat of a small metal box speeding along a freeway. So, today was very difficult for all of us. Seven long hours along I-5 and I-505 and I-80 before we finally sped across the Bay Bridge into sweet San Francisco, the end of the line, this time around.

***

Back here, I discover that some of our brightest scientists are in the process of perfecting robots to perform tasks like driving our cars safely (yes!), but also providing "robot companionship [that] could one day go, as teens once said, all the way, for geek bachelors who can't get a girlfriend."

Okay, guys. This technology thing has gotten out of control, I'm sorry. Even the geekiest of all geeks, Bill Gates, met Melinda, and see what happened? He found some meaning for his life (and wealth.) He became a philanthropist.

Let that be a lesson to all of us. Real sex, real connecting, is much more powerful than any machine substitute can or ever will be able to supply.

On the otherhand, maybe you could have a nice robot on the side? :-)


-30-

No comments: