Thursday, March 22, 2007

Spaghetti for 50, baseball for one



For his math assignment last night, Dylan had to calculate the total ingredients he would need to create a meatlesss spaghetti to feed 50 people. In case after clicking on this image (which makes it bigger) you still cannot make out the recipe, I will reproduce it here for you:

*600 cloves of garlic
*12.5 cups of olive oil
*200 quarts of water
*75 tablespoons of salt
*50 pounds of spaghetti noodles
*50 cups chopped parsley

Now, I am not quite sure what happened to the tomato sauce in this recipe, but there you have it.

***

As the major league baseball season is about to begin, perhaps a quick tutorial on fantasy baseball might be in order? This is a game based on one's ability as a manager to field a team day-in, day-out, with real big-league players on your roster. Depending on how they perform each day, you are awarded points. Without going into more detail, it requires you to field players at each position capable of garnering at least 300 points per season if you are to be competitive.

Here are my "keepers," the first half of my 24-man roster.

(1B) Adam LaRoche 321.5
(2B) Orlando Hudson 257.5
(3B) Chipper Jones 332
(SS) Julio Lugo 179.5

(SP) Greg Maddux 323
(SP) Dontrelle Willis 317.5
(SP) Matt Cain 293
(SP) Jeff Francis 287
(SP) John Patterson 68

(RP) Takashi Saito 228.5
(RP) ?
(RP) ?

(OF) Andruw Jones 408
(OF) Chris Duffy 105.5
(OF) ?

(C) ?
(U) ?

You can see that I have many holes in my fantasy lineup, which I must fill in the draft, which occurs this coming Sunday. But I also have some exceptionally strong players, who if they play well this year, could help my team, the Mud Lake Mafia, thrive.

It's spring here. Play Ball!

-30-