Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Happy Birthday, Baby

Somewhere, in storage, there is a slide of my little girl painting this rainbow when she was in nursey school. The print hangs in my kitchen; I look at it every day, and think of that young artist.
Here she is, with Loic. They will be married here, in San Francisco on July 21st (my niece Cara's birthday), and also, in Nice, on August 4th (on what would have been my mother's 92nd birthday). Our family can claim many dates for such joyful events.
When it comes to big sisters, there cannot possibly ever have been a better one. Although bossy, she always has had a huge heart, a generosity of spirit that I wish we all could possess, and a protectiveness that meant no one could mess with her younger siblings.What can I say? She was a wild, emotional child who scared us hallf to death with her intensity.
With her friend Prentice, there on Ashbury Street where they both grew up, we had many sweet photo ops.
Me and my first born.
With her little brother, Peter.

With her Mom.

First, Laila, Sarah, and Peter in their teens. Second, My oldest child and me.
My Michigan Mafia buddy Frank Viviano's brother, Sam, sketched this rendition of the young Laila in La Victoria.

Happy Birthday, Laila!

No comments: