Monday, June 04, 2007

Let's get serious. Consigamos serios. 讓我們更加嚴峻 . になろう。

(Note: This post contains sections in four languages. If anyone needs help translating what I have written, please feel free to email me and I'll send the whole thing in your language of choice.)



First, from our sister blog, Sidewalk Images, which has recently transformed into a Spanish language site:

Entiendo que ésta es una tarjeta del teléfono que te permite a la llamada detrás a casa. Y, por supuesto, utilizan a las muchachas bonitas para vender cada clase de materia. Pero esta señora mira aprensivo downright. ¿Es porque ella teme ser llamada por un stalker? No la consigo. ¡Ella debe parecer feliz! Emocionado que la has llamado.



Second, can anyone identify this earring?
這是你的耳環 ,由機會 ? 它被樓下有一陣子 ; 最近我們發現它. 是否有脫落 ,昨晚在2003年10月, 當你坐在膝上,在一張椅子在花園深夜?



How old is this piece of wood cut from a tree?



How old is this piece of wood? Think of all that trees witness. They stand, stoic and solid, while we mammals come and go frenetically, as if this were our world.

I have gotten married twice; once at age 22, once at age 45. (At that rate, I should tie the knot a third time by age 69. Hmmm, a nice image of love, that: 69.

Where was I? Yes, my marriages led to honeymoons. The first one, when we were so young, was a driving trip through my father's native Canada, where we visited Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, and Prince Edward's Island.


The second one, at a transitional moment, involved another driving trip, this one up and down the Sierra Nevada. We ended up spending Thanksgiving with a writer friend living in a cabin just outside the Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Here stand some of the oldest living things on earth. A few of these massive trees were standing right here when, for example, Jesus was wandering around the Middle East.

When it comes to big trees, which of course, like everything else on earth, are now endangered species, I think of my lovely young friend, Julia Butterfly Hill, and her epic treesit in the tree she named Luna. If you've not yet read her book, please do.



We have such vivid imaginations, and are able to turn almost anything into something else. I think of this as the Age of Transformers, and have done so since the '80s, when I first noticed my son Peter's ability to manipulate the toys of that time into multiple outcomes.

I could sense that something big was afoot; I just wasn't quite sure what to call it.



Now, I know its name. This is indeed the Age of Transformation. I can take, say, an image of a pretty Japanese girl and transform her into a series of colorful dots. Now, I ask you, what could be cooler than that?

今、私は名前を知っている。 これは全く年齢のである 変形。 私はきれいののイメージを撮ってもいい 日本の女の子は一連の多彩な点に彼女を変形させ。 今、私は尋ねる、何それより涼しいがあることができるか。

-30-

No comments: