Monday, August 20, 2007

What Matters



This photo was a mistake, but because it has a certain kind of beauty, I've decided to post it. Lots of times, I've noticed, the photos I've snapped inadvertently are more evocative than the ones I shot with intent.

Which brings me to wonder whether we accomplish worthwhile things more often when we intend to, i.e., in a direct way, and through established channels; or whether, by serendipity, we do so almost accidentally, just because our motives are pure and our values are settled.

It can take time, of course, for each of us to discover, let alone articulate, our fundamental values. Where would you choose to be, if you could, when a devastating nuclear bomb hit your city? Who would you first wish to connect with after a killer earthquake? Who would you call on your cellphone if you knew the plane on which you were traveling was soon going to crash?

These are the essential questions -- the ones you must know how to answer before the question smashes you straight between the eyes.

-30-

1 comment:

L said...

I was surfing blogspot when I stumbled upon your blog. Interesting questions, my gut initial answer to all revolved around my husband. A good thing since we are married and all... If my answers didn't involve him, perhaps I would be reevaluating??