Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Color of Time



The Chinese, of course, believe that each year is represented by an animal, with certain characteristics that define any person who is born in that year.



One of the benefits of living with young children is you see the world through their eyes. Whenever I start obsessing about a new project, they ask me questions that force me to try to come up with new answers.

In the case of painting bright colors on the tree rings visible on these odd blocks of wood, I told them that I believe every year has a color.



There are blue years, for example, and red years. And so on.



One sure sign that you have a teenager in the house is when you find yourself going to a music store to buy drums. This has not happened yet, but my young trio aged 8-13 show some new confidence as beginner musicians.



The two guitarists have taught themselves the opening chords of "Smoke on the Water," which rang out repeatedly through our home yesterday. My little pianist can replicate their effort, with a special flourish, on his electronic keyboard.



He shakes his curls when he does it.

-30-

No comments: