Saturday, September 15, 2007

Today in Pictures



I'm at 117, with one more this year pending. That will be four days before Halloween, when Julia turns 9 and I'll have 118 parenting years, which means the kids will average out to 19.7 years each at that point.

Collectively, they're almost twice as old as I am; and believe me when I say, I feel it.



Most parents in this era will understand what I mean when I say we learn from our kids. This is a natural situation when the pace of technological change has removed some of the natural advantages of age.

How many middle-aged people know how to text message?



It's just like the situation that immigrant parents feel when their kids understand the language and culture so much better than they do that they lose their parental advantage on the basis of communication ability alone.



That's what it is like for almost all parents today.



So yes, this night was for Aidan, as we had a big party honoring his 13th birthday earlier this month. His buddy since birth, Alice, shared his chair as we all thundered "Happy Birthday" on Bernal Hill tonight.






Earlier today, it was week two in soccer.












Both of my soccer players had good games. My non-player, still in his beloved Russian Red Army Cossack hat, likes to sit way up high, when he can find a perfect perch, from which he tolerates these long Saturdays in good spirit, even though he finds the games pretty much...boring.












Aidan's always been a great athlete, no matter what sport he plays. His little sister seems to just now be coming into her own. She's a player now!










Today, I lost my voice. The games were both close, exciting, hard-fought battles.






I love watching children compete in sports.






Oh yeah, one more number:

Michigan 38 Notre Dame 0.

-30-

No comments: