Monday, October 01, 2007

Everybody's Story



It's one of those truths that you cannot speak often enough, because most people don't believe you when you say it. But every human being has his or her own story, and by that I mean a rich narrative arc with dramatic structure, unique characters and experiences, and an emotional truth no one else can articulate.



This is the basis of my courses in memoir writing. This also is the basis for musical story-tellers like Dan Hicks (and a couple of his Hot Licks), who were surprise guests at Saturday Night's RSX No-Talent Show.

Hicks definitely violated the no-talent rule.



The reunion was a priceless opportunity for my younger kids to learn a bit about my life long before them. Many other ex-Stoners also had multiple children in multiple marriages -- four seemed to be a common number.



I didn't encounter anyone else with six, however. But every child brings new opportunities to re-experience life, through new eyes, and brings new special friends into your life. I love getting to know my kids' friends.



How do you empower your own children to believe in themselves so that, someday, they will trust their own voices enough to share their experiences and insights with the world?



I've spent so much energy encouraging my writing students that I sometimes worry I have not devoted enough energy on doing the same work with my kids.



Will they feel free to tell their own stories? I hope so, for all of our sakes. And I can say that about everyone else's child as well. Only when we all start not only listening to, but actually hearing one another, will we have any hope whatsoever of surviving as a species.

-30-

No comments: