Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Huggers



Rarely, if ever, do I write movie reviews. Book reviews, yes, but not films.



But this afternoon I saw a movie that was so stirring, I have to recommend it to anyone who visits this blog. The film is "Lars and the Real Girl." See it, if you can, please, and then write me what you think.



Though I very rarely, if ever, bother reading movie reviews, I just perused the Rotten Tomatoes site, which collates prominent reviewers' comments about films.



Although a few of these "film experts" reflected my views, most of them failed to comprehend, or at least express, the deep emotionality of this film.



Without even meeting these writers, I can sense that a story like this one scares them. My honest advice, should I meet them, is to get out of the film review business. They simply are not suited to it.



Don't read me wrong. I am not about to claim this movie is without its imperfections. There are plenty of aspects to criticize.



But to do so is to miss the main point, never a good idea for any writer.

***

Meanwhile, a young girl in Illinois has been punished for innocently hugging a friend.

And, yes, this "review" and that news story are directly related.

No comments: