Monday, November 26, 2007

Unmentionable Epidemics

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/maps/index.htm

We are a society of addicts, it is fashionable to say, and I have no evidence to the contrary. The above link, which was introduced to me today by one of the scientists at Pesticide Action Network, is a government graphic that tracks how we, as a nation, have become dramatically fatter over the past two decades.

As a long-time journalist, few things shock me, but this one does. Please click on the link and watch the changes in our body shapes since 1985. Many people have theories about why this is happening, and no doubt most of those theories are correct.

But as one who deals in facts, and trends, I have to say it appears that we are rapidly eating ourselves to death. Why? Is this some sort of awful collective suicide impulse? I've always thought that most people wish to remain youthful in appearance, and as good-looking, and as healthy as possible.

Of course, there are many fat activists and apologists, those who will send me angry emails about the position I am taking here. But my belief is that we should all start practicing how to live more lightly on this earth, and that means, especially in the United States, consuming fewer resources.

I've bulked up myself in the past two years and I am not proud of the fact. I'm reviewing my dietary and exercise habits, conducting a sort of personal audit, not so much in a quest to regain my girlish figure (smile), but to be a better citizen, and a more responsible member of our global community.

I hope you'll join me. We're not the only ones.

-30-

No comments: