Friday, March 14, 2008

The Boy inside the Man



Today's Food Quiz: What is this? (The answer in tomorrow's post. Yesterday's quiz was correctly answered (see below.)

***



My childhood, in the Fifties, was a time when I wondered how I could ever fit in. It was a time of buzz cuts and Cub Scouts, of cliche and The Death of a Salesman.

My Dad was a salesman, and also my hero. I went around with him sometimes as he made the rounds of grocery stores. Our job (I felt involved) was to make sure our marketing gadgets and giveaways (mainly images of Elsie the Borden Cow) graced as many outlets as possible.



In later years, while raising millions of dollars for causes I believed in, like investigative reporting, social justice and environmental issues, I gradually became aware that the main asset I had as a fundraiser was the boyhood memory of watching my father at work.

Today, once again "cleaning up" around here, I unearthed the little plywood box he crafted for me half a century ago. Inside were reminders of my past, almost as if we'd filed them in a time machine.

***





Yesterday's Food Quix:
Cecilia correctly identified these as radish slices (with sea salt).

-30-

No comments: