Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy Princesses?


(Dolls obviously designed by males.)

It's natural enough, I suppose, for a father with three daughters and three sons to think about the differences in raising girls and boys.

As a dad, I've always been drawn to any article based in scientific studies that quantifies our different (and largely unconscious) choices in how we treat little kids, based on their gender.

Many studies have documented that girls get many more hugs and kisses and affectionate nicknames like "sweetie," "princess," "pretty," "darling," "cutie," and "baby" than do boys.

All too often, traditionally, boys are slapped on the back, given "high fives," or punched in the stomach by men who call them "dude," "little man," "killer," "boss," "superstar," or "big guy."

I'm trying (imperfectly, of course) to remain gender-blind most of the time. I hug, kiss, and tell my little kids they are all "pretty," "sweet," and "beautiful."

Maybe I've had it with the life of being a man in a male-dominated culture. Why raise more problematic males soaked in the sexist soup that I experienced, albeit unwillingly and unsuccessfully when I was a child.

I always hated being among only men -- and I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be in the Army or a sports team. It's not that I don't like my male friends -- I do.

It's just that when we are alone with ourselves, sometimes it seems like the prejudices of the ages rain down on us like a toxic brew. We smell bad; we talk trash; and we rarely help improve the human prospect when females are absent from our lives.

Just to be clear, I'd never chose to be only surrounded by women, either. All that chatter! So many tears! So much drama!

Wow, I sound like an old man now, but I suppose that's appropriate enough. As long as the balance of genders remains in place, I can tolerate the human race...for a while longer, at least.

-30-

1 comment:

DanogramUSA said...

David,

Here's wishing you many long and prosperous years yet.

You've just described what I think is the very best side of growing older – the settling down of the raging hormones of youth which allows one to get a sane thought in edge-ways from time to time.


Dan