Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Life Affirming Blogs



I get all sorts of mail about my blogs, including comments, both negative and positive, kind and mean.



Very rarely, someone truly horrible shows up. It's hard for me to comprehend why anyone would bother to react to a private journal like this one with so much vitriol, but it happens.



Why? Who has enough time to read my simple little blog if it makes them that angry?



All I can do is speculate that there still are so many unresolved resentments held deeply by some among us that somehow even the most benign of writers (yours truly) can trigger some sort of primordial anger.



I hope that nobody who knows me personally could ever summon such anger against me for my words. Because anyone who really knows me that I think out loud, i.e., I write out loud, i.e., I am always experimenting.



My best and honest advice to anybody who finds him or herself wasting unsettled emotions reacting against the likes of me: Try therapy. If that doesn't help, open your own blog, and pour your thoughts and feelings into a venue where you are in control.

This is a tiny space, this blog. It's two-plus years old. It started with a broken heart. It continues with a commitment to the future, our common future, whether we are men or women or in-between; whether we are married or single or not sure; whether we are old or young or rich or poor or happy or sad.

It is a life story, unvarnished and unpolished. Should I take it entirely private, allowing readers only by invitation?

That is the advice I have been given, due to the nature of the comments I have recently received. Anyone that angry could be violent -- so the reasoning goes. Maybe you are becoming the target of a sociopath, they tell me.

I hope not. Writing is only writing after all; stories are only stories. No one should confuse them with "real life," since that is an entirely separate, messy affair.

Love, David

-30-

4 comments:

DanogramUSA said...

David,

Anger in humans has only one origin: Fear. We get angry only when we are afraid, and the level of vitriol you've received is a measure of the fear. It must be pretty unpleasant to be that afraid of words written in a personal blog.

Whoever the wimpy, spineless little girlie men are, please refer them to me in the future; my email is always available for the frightened among us... Although personal appearances will be, shall we say, discouraged.


Dan

David Weir said...

Thanks, Dan.

inmeli said...

Hi... i do believe too tha anger is part of the definition of human being. I believe we must left anger pass by and focus on create words, expressions, actiosn that promove peace and love. I do have a lot of difficult to be a more peacefull person, but i know is the only way, and i'm trying to.
I'm from Santiago de Chile, i'm sorry if my english is not really clear.
Like your words.

Meliza

Anonymous said...

Hello friends
Do not miss your chance to get a free ipad. Visit http://bit.ly/d9QOON