Saturday, July 12, 2008

Eagle's Donuts



The heat wave has passed, for those of us living on the coast, but inland California continues to sizzle. Hundreds of wildfires continue to raze south to north all the way up into Washington.



Here the sky is white by day (foggy) and black by night. There have been three or four shootings, some fatal, a few blocks from here at a gang boundary line. My homeless buddy, Gonzo, was harassed by a rookie cop from a different part of town. He knows all the Mission Station cops, and they protect him.



The kids and I stopped by the best donut shop around -- Eagle's on Mission near Bernal -- to buy our breakfast. The friendly lady behind the counter knows the kids well, and also their preferences.

It's Saturday. After a week of long hours commuting and working, I'm looking for a way to wind down today. Maybe I'll go back to bed, find a New Yorker I've not yet finished, and save my second cup of coffee for later this morning...

No comments: