Friday, July 18, 2008

Home (Not) Alone.1

I haven't really updated this blog with my personal circumstances in a while. I live alone. My kids spend a certain amount of time with me but they don't really live here, any longer, so they pretty much consider "home" their Mom's house, and this place just "Dad's house."

I understand.

My GF got her own place recently, across town, but she hasn't really moved in there yet, because she's been traveling -- in Japan at present.

Given the state of the economy, and the fact that nobody much ever spends the night here, I've been wondering whether I should get a roommate? I'm not much attracted to the idea, but the financial benefits are undeniable.

We Americans are all, in one way or another, struggling to cope with the changing circumstances we find ourselves in. House values are falling everywhere, even here in the Bay Area (finally). Job losses are rising. Defaults on loans are up, as are foreclosures, and many people are dipping into their retirement accounts to stay afloat.

My immigrant Scottish grandfather would turn over in his grave if he knew the way my youngest child views money. She sees no reason whatsoever to store her money away. Like most kids, she gets money gifts, and earns allowances, and so forth, so she always has a small bit of "savings."

But to her, money means very little. As soon as she hears somebody needs some money to buy something, she quickly and enthusiastically gives what she has to that person. I haven't intervened yet, summoning my Scottish genes, to explain to her that this is not necessarily the best way to go about migrating through American capitalist society.

-30-

No comments: