Friday, December 05, 2008

Riding That Train

(The national stimulus package to be issued early in the Obama administration envisions a massive federal investment in infrastructure projects. In that spirit, here's a personal story.)

My Saturn was long overdue for service. Not because I didn't try to take it in; the dealerships all closed down around here this fall, probably part of GM's gradual failure as a company, and for a long time there was no authorized maintenance destination.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago: A notice came in the mail that a Chevrolet dealer had taken over the responsibility for fixing Saturns, and he enclosed a coupon for a bargain oil change & lube job.

So, I called and made an appointment. They said they couldn't fit me in until December 3rd (Wednesday of this week). I dropped the car there, and was driven home by the shuttle. That was a nice touch, as I barely missed a beat working on Wednesday, which is how I like it.

When I called late in the day, the service agent admitted they hadn't gotten to my car yet, but there was a good chance they would the following day (Thursday), since a computer ranking determined which vehicles had been waiting the longest, and mine qualified.

Yesterday, I took public transportation to work. It took 20 minutes to walk to Bart, the subway system in the Bay Area. A train came immediately, and we headed south. According to my glance at the map, the southern-most station, and therefore presumably the right one for me to hook up with Caltrain and get the rest of the way to Redwood City was Millbrae.

That was true, but -- my bad! -- the train I was on didn't make it to Milbrae. It ended at SFO (the airport) instead. No matter that the airport is at Millbrae, too. The airport Bart and the Millbrae Bart stations, which sit just across the 101 freeway from one another, are not linked.

So, I sat in the same train that had carried me there, and waited for the "airport special" to start its return journey. Quite a bit of time passed, during which I memorized the "In Case of Emergency" poster. I also read and reread the notice that "Federal Law Demands that these Seats be Reserved for Seniors and the Handicapped."

Finally, we eased out of the SFO station northward. I was retracing my steps.

By now, I knew to get off at San Bruno, where I promptly caught the next southbound train to Millbrae. Finally, my transfer station!

There was only one problem. "A system-wide computer breakdown is causing major delays for all trains north and south," boomed a station loudspeaker, every five minutes or so.

I and several dozen other stragglers had no option but to wait it out. After an agonizing stretch, during which I studied every face of my fellow riders for clues about the meaning of life, a train actually did show up.

This would have been pretty much the end of the story, since the next scheduled stop was Redwood City, where I work, but this particular train made an "unscheduled" stop somewhere along the tracks between Millbrae and RWC.

We just sat and sat. The train operator came on periodically, almost mournfully, to express his regret. I couldn't tell whether he was more saddened by our stoppage or his inability to explain why we were stationary.

As is the case with all things in life, good or bad, this (motionlessness) too came to end, and our train filled with battered riders screeched itself the rest of the way to (my) destination.

Yep. Public transportation! It only took me two-and-a-half hours to complete a commute that normally take me 30 minutes in my car.

That was only half of yesterday's story. later on in the day I had to get home, remember! Maybe I'll tell that story later...

So, please Mr. President-elect, yes, please do something about improving our public transportation systems.

1 comment:

DanogramUSA said...

Just imagine relinquishing your car and becoming dependent on public transportation every day!

Asking our president-elect (or any public official for that matter) to improve our public transportation is as productive as asking a death row inmate to end violence in our communities. To prove me wrong, show me one – just one – major social problem which has been convincingly improved by federal government involvement. Just one.

Of course, there is the new visitor center in Washington (so Harry Reid doesn't have to smell the tourists) at a mere ½ billion dollars over (nearly 10 times) its original budget. I suppose that protecting our beloved legislators from body odor, and tourists from – God forbid – religious affront, might qualify in the minds of some, they are not the Americans I will follow.