Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Book Review: "A Freewheelin' Time" by Suze Rotolo


It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to teach memoir writing, but when I was doing so -- as one part of a course I called "Journalism as Biography" at Stanford, earlier in this decade; and also more recently as an instructor through San Francisco State University's OLLI program, which is dedicated to students over the age of 50, I only wish I had had Suze Rotolo's excellent book to work from.

This book was recommended to me by the literary agent Steve Wasserman, who knows books like I know stories. And the author was represented by Sarah Lazin, a Rolling Stone colleague from the '70s, who also has been, like Steve, an extremely successful representative of fine writers since she left San Francisco in 1977.

Suze Rotolo appears on the book's cover photo as the person she once was -- the very young Bob Dylan's soul mate, in love with him as he became the person he wanted to be. I read her book cover to cover in awe -- not of her story but, as a fellow writer, of her voice.

Near the very end of the book, I underlined one phrase: "The truth lies in the recalled emotion."

If I should happen to get another chance to teach memoir, this will be my starting point. It was in the past, too, but I never put it so eloquently as she has.

Don't bother with this book, BTW, if you are seeking gossip about Dylan's early years, or things of that ilk. Read it, rather, if you want to understand how it felt to be alive and active in Greenwich Village (as well as in other conscious communities) when an entire generation rose up to challenge the old ways that, in the '60s, still held sway.

This is the story of a woman (and women will especially appreciate her writing) who may have been the girlfriend of one of the greatest artists of his generation, but who, in her own, much more modest way, instinctively knew that unless she could find her own way, outside of his massive shadow, she would end up lost, hopelessly.

This is also a story of young love, tender and heart-breaking. It struck me as a modern Romeo and Juliet, actually.

But the main reason I am endorsing this beautiful piece of work is for my students, including any future students, or readers, who may be considering writing a memoir. That may include you.

Please do not underestimate the power of the story you have to tell. Just sharing "the truth (that) lies in recalled emotion" is all you need to get started.

Please do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like a re-phrasing of "spontaneous emotion recollected in tranquility." No?

David Weir said...

A+

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I figured you would recognize the quote.