Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Passages Recalled



It's her birthday today. She would have been 94. That's her in the lower left of the old photo, in San Antonio with my Dad during WW2. He's right behind her, his face partly obscured.

Happy Birthday Mom.

***



The Farallon Islands were visible from San Francisco, 27 miles west of the City today.

Usually they are shrouded in fog.

Looking at them made me think of what lies beyond -- Hawaii. For whatever random reason, I found myself going over to Google Maps to try and get directions from here to Hawaii.

Of course, the search giant took my query seriously, and provided me with a route that involved driving north to a point on the coast of Washington near Seattle. Then, it instructed me to "kayak across the Pacific Ocean" 2,756 miles to Oahu.

Who thinks this stuff up? An algorithm?

The total distance for this trip would be 3,614 miles, and Google estimates that it would take me 14 days and 19 hours to pull it off. Check it out.


View Larger Map

-30-

No comments: