Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Triangulating Family Networks


One of the fascinating thing about a big family is all the different roles people take toward one another, especially over time. Of course, if you're Dad, you're always Dad, but the relationship with your children evolves as everyone gets older.

My older kids know more -- much more -- about all kinds of stuff than I do. My younger kids are familiar with technologies, cultural trends, and music that I only learn about through them.

Case in point: There's no way I would know that "SpongeBob, SquarePants" is a brilliantly-written TV show unless I had young children.

Besides all of this, there's a network effect as you add people into your family. The bigger the group, the larger the multiples, as family members create different relationships with each other.

This is why social media like Facebook, if you keep at it assiduously, will eventually yield a community of contacts in the thousands or even millions. (Note to file: I don't do this.)

Although there is no possible way you could ever get to know, or even meet all of those people you are a degree of separation or two away from, when you add in keyword search, and targeting technologies, you can see why a service such as LinkedIn might well help you find your next job.

This was all swirling around in my head today as my older son helped me prepare for an upcoming conference presentation. I meanwhile, was channeling Julia Child and cooking him an omelette, my prosaic new cooking specialty.

This is a mid-week that features my two middle children, both boys, yet one is also a youngest child, while the other is also an oldest child, due to the peculiar math of having raised two separate groups of three.

So, at breakfast, my 28-year-old, as the neuroscience PhD he is, was walking me through the logic of a fascinating if obscure exercise about how color affects our brain's response time when completing simple tasks, like reading.

Then, we packed up his stuff for Burning Man.

Last night, news came that my other middle child, 14 years old, has made his school's varsity soccer team as a freshman, after a grueling eight-day tryout in blazing heat. He also has advanced up into Honors Physics and seems to be doing well with that challenge.

Two boys in the middle of the pack, with two other wonderful siblings older and two equally wonderful younger. Despite my obsession with math, I'd just never thought of them that way before. You'd think that with 128 years of parenting under my belt plus two more to add before next month is out, it would have occurred to me, but there you have it.

Burning Man. Neuroscience. Soccer. Physics. Two boys, one Dad. Just workin' our network...and feeling the effects.

-30-

No comments: