Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Road Tripping: Route 66

These images are from a recent drive I took along the western end of the old Route 66.



Some of these towns, and cafes, and tourist stops could well disappear in the coming decade.



Not many folks continue to live in these small towns, since the freeways bypassed them.



Maybe, in the end, the only ones left will be those who originally lived here, the people the early Europeans called "Indians." After all, they are still here, just as they have always been.



But Route 66 for most Americans is about nostalgia, not Natives.



I understand.



The '50s. Only problem is, I didn't feel comfortable in the '50s, and I was a kid then. The style may have been great, but it was rock 'n roll that freed us from all of that.

Remember?

-30-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember!

Anjuli said...

What a journey- I loved the pictures and the accompanying thoughts.