Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Creative Risk, Safety, Fear, Love & Death


The environment around me could not be more dramatic, several miles inland from a violent ocean, churning from a series of winter storms that are dumping rain along the northern coast.

As we rounded the hill atop Bernal yesterday, my kids are I were confronted with a black sky to one side and a bright, almost white sky on the other, with a giant rainbow joining them together.

The city's fabled seven hills are bright green from the rain, and the constantly changing sky provides the opposite of what our summer fog brings, i.e., clarity as opposed to confusion.

I love this season.

My friend asks, "Just think, if you have only a few years left in your life, what would you like to leave in words, as a journalist, to make the world a better place?"

Although I hope to have more than a "few" years left, her point is well-taken. Most of my career as a writer, I've been extremely passive. (This blog is a more aggressive approach to writing than most things I've done.)

Normally, I've waited for work to come to me, and then said "yes."

In the past few months, this pattern continues. I've said "yes" to anyone who approaches, and that has included editors for three magazine articles (all successful) and a new blog (that jury is out). Over the same period, I've approached no one on my own, to suggest projects, although I have a few in mind.

In my personal life, a similar passivity reigns. I've accepted those who show up, including girl friends; rarely reaching out to meet new people on my own.

Somehow, life just keeps showing up. But I am quite aware that a new approach is indicated; that it is now time for me to take more decisive actions.

Stay tuned. News headlines coming up...

-30-

2 comments:

Anjuli said...

will look forward to you grabbing life before it sneaks up on you :)

Alexs said...

interesting. I have a new approach, complete the opposite: I've spent my life going after things quite directly, actively seeking doing and now I see that I must do it quite differently to become who I need to be. I am a woman. Maybe that's it. We must each inhabit more of our true nature-- you, your masculine and I,my feminine.
best wishes to you!--and us.