Monday, February 08, 2010

The Passing of a Moment



El Nino brought us yet more rain today; no complaints. Earlier, my close friend and I walked past these plum trees, bursting with their advertisements that spring is indeed on the way.

One of my most difficult struggles has been to achieve what I imagine to others must seem so simple -- just to live in each moment, to appreciate being alive, to feel as blessed as I truly am.

It's often been easier to think about deficiencies and disappointments, to remain dissatisfied, to demand (of myself and others) perfection.

Perfection never comes, so expecting it is a recipe for sadness.

I'm tired with all patterns that have proved unsatisfying; my new restlessness is based in a drive to achieve simplicity in my life.

My life is not simple, but the way I choose to live it can be.

I'm working on a set of simple principles, some of which I can articulate from time to time here; others that shall remain more private.

My new rituals, some of which would surprise even close friends, include daily prayers. These, too are very simple in nature.

Much like the petals that hang from the trees above, a reminder that all things shall pass.

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

Simplicity is indeed the way to go. Even in the midst of complexity- we can create simplicity.