Friday, February 26, 2010

Picking Your Battles


Somewhere along the way, when I wasn't paying attention, the styles changed, and it became cool to wear mis-matching socks.

Or, maybe I did notice, but have since forgotten.

Whichever way it may be, today I focused on this issue, while picking up my daughter from school. I noticed, certainly not for the first time, that her socks were of two colors -- one blue and one green.

She's always fashionable, and I instantly knew this had become a fashion, somewhere, sometime, when I was absent.

When my attention was elsewhere.

A storm had gathered hours earlier -- a fierce wind swept from the southwest over the City. I'd watched the rain driven sideways from one of our hills.

I should explain, for those who do not know San Francisco, that ours is a town built on seven hills.

Our parks are on hilltops, not in every case one of the fabled seven, but sometimes just on a rise that elsewhere would be considered a significant bump in the road, but here is just another topological blip.

She had to walk the dogs before we went home. As we rounded a corner, and the storm clouds parted, Holly Park beckoned from one of those blips -- green these days, thanks to the rain.

As we trudged onward I started wondering whether I should start wearing mis-matched socks as well, then I realized that that is one of those increasing numbers of trains that has most certainly left the station without me.

And there won't be time enough left to be playing catchup.

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

you have chosen your battles well. I'm always amused at older people who don new fangled fashions attempting, in a sense, to capture their youth. I wonder why they don't embrace their wonderful age and experience!!!

I appreciate this of our President Obama- he dresses immaculately- fashionably even- but he embraces his age and wisdom as he should!