Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Writer's Dilemma



The season is approaching when I will begin to visit a few classes here and there, and deliver a few lectures (or interactive discussions) about writing, so naturally, thoughts about the topic creep into my head as I procrastinate about doing what I actually should be doing, which is writing of a different type.

For decades, I've said the hardest thing about writing is getting started, and the second-hardest is keeping going.

But those involve tactics.

Actually, the hardest thing about writing for virtually any writer is believing you have something to say.

Notice that I said "something" to say, not "anything." Of course, once you're experienced, you can string words together in your sleep, with your eyes closed, and your hands tied behind your back -- not that I've tried that particular experiment, and in any event, I'd need a willing partner to do so, which I do not have at present.

"Something" is not necessarily easier to locate with age and experience, though young writers often have it without knowing it.

Self-confidence is, of course, the slender carpet all artists stand on. We stretch, place our feet firmly, look up and out and beyond...and hope.

At that moment, it's time for those tactics to kick in.

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

well said.