Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Thin Line Between Security and Helplessness



The blowout happened as I was driving alone on the freeway headed north at rush hour. By the time I'd navigated my car over to the shoulder, the left rear tire was shredded.

After "roadside assistance" arrived, I traveled the rest of the way home feeling like a tin duck in a shooting alley. Going 45 mph, the maximum allowed, with one of those tiny wagon wheels that passes for a modern spare tire, and my emergency lights flashing, I limped 15 miles among SUVs and pickups weaving in and out at speeds up to twice mine.

It almost felt miraculous to survive.

All of my adult life, few things have made me feel more vulnerable than car trouble. First in Michigan, then here in California, I've lived in places where it's impossible to get to where I have to go and do the things I have to do without having a reliable vehicle to get me there.

A little over six years ago, around Christmas 2003, I bought a new car for the first (and probably only) time in my life. At the time, new at the business of living alone after the breakup of my marriage, I felt the need for whatever measure of security a new car might provide.

So I went to a dealer and bought the first car I saw.

It's been fine, really, until the past two days.

Yesterday mroning, as the kids and I piled into it, running almost late for school and work, the car failed to start. I'm not proud to say I lost it then and there. I freaked out, in front of my kids.

Not a great parenting moment.

Half a day and $500 later, I had the vehicle back.

Tonight the tire blew out. What was that about?

I'm back home, in one piece, but I'm not sure how safe and secure I am feeling just now.

-30-

4 comments:

Laila said...

Yikes! I am glad you're ok!

Anonymous said...

Wow -- the past two days must feel like an attack of the car monster! And I so remember 280, its drivers and the terrain -- I used to travel it regularly for a year when I was in a relationship with someone who lived in Los Altos. Not at all a place where I would want to be in a car that breaks down. I'm also glad you're OK. Tamara

Anjuli said...

I abhor car trouble- and always seem to be in the midst of some pickles. I'm glad you were able to get home safe and sound.

David Weir said...

Thank you for your comments; the tire is now fixed and I am "back on the road," a bit chagrined, a bit wishing I traveled more by electric bike!