Thursday, March 04, 2010

A Walk Across Campus, Many Years Later

Years ago, before I started this particular blog, I taught journalism at Stanford.

Today, for one of the few times since I left the university late in 2005, I was back on campus. I didn't have my camera on me, so words will have to do.

Stanford is a large, rambling campus, nicknamed "The Farm." It's one of the best-endowed private universities in the U.S., so you might expect its students to be a snotty, entitled group -- but that wasn't my experience while teaching there.

Those who attended the various classes I taught came from all over the world and all walks of life. Many were not from privileged backgrounds; many were ethnic minorities.

All were exceptionally bright. There's something I learned along the way as a teacher and that is to try and pose a question at the beginning of each class that I didn't know the answer to. (I've mentioned this method before.)

As often as possible, I practiced this at Stanford, and the resulting joint explorations with students took all of us into territory I couldn't have anticipated.

Some of my favorite teaching experiences were class projects, designed by students who then worked cooperatively in teams.

They'd go out and survey other students or community members about various political, social, or academic issues, and the results were inevitably illuminating.

These memories came back today as I navigated around campus, somewhat lost, seeking a venue for a symposium. Universities at their best are places to explore ideas, including new ideas that may or may not turn out to have merit.

I remember urging my students to "take risks -- you're safe here."

Taking intellectual risks isn't always as easy as it seems for students hard-pressed to earn grades, get ahead, pay down loans, meet the high expectations of others, including their family members.

As a teacher, you have them in your influence for but a moment. For me, that moment was dedicated to discovery, both for them and for me.

I miss that.

-30-

2 comments:

Anjuli said...

It sounds like you were an excellent teacher- why did you stop teaching? I love the concept of starting with a question which you didn't know the answer to!!

David Weir said...

Great question. The appointment was just for three years and once it ran out, I had to turn to other sources of income. Since then I have tried but not succeeded to land another good teaching position.