Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Years New and Old

As I've hardly been alone in noting, many times, is that time keeps moving, whether we do or not. This particular year is guaranteed to be one of change for me, because the way the last one ended is unacceptable.

If we could pack up only the good stuff from life as we move ahead, and discard what is known as our "baggage," we'd all keep getting better and better.

But it doesn't work that way. Our shadows don't depart so easily.

Still, even bad years have bright spots, and even our weaker parts have their purposes. It's just to get enough distance from that to grow perspective isn't always easy.

Sometimes, actually lots of times, I stare at trees or leaves or birds. Less so at people. All are made of the same stuff, however.

Reading workaholic astronomer Mike Brown's entertaining book I mentioned the other day, I came upon his epiphany -- that falling in love trumped his professional ambition.

Those dating sites, which I abhor and rarely visit, usually ask the essential things you could not live without. Outside of the funny answers, most people cite friends and family.

I've been trying to assess which things I am really good at lately, not because I'm into gratuitously boosting my own self-esteem, but because as I survey the job market, it is fairly clear that the types of opportunities I've held in the past don't exist in quantity, circa the start of 2011.

So if I am not to work as an editor or a writer, what will it be? Manager? Director? Communications Executive? I've done those things. Teacher? Professor? Administrator? I've done those as well.

This complication of how to adapt yourself to the job market isn't unique to me, of course, but the challenge facing millions of out-of-work Americans.

A blog at one website posting jobs advises job-seekers to smack down any sign of flagging self-esteem should this pop up to bite your behind. After all, it's the worst economy of our lifetimes.

Speaking for myself only, I've never gotten all of my self-worth from any job, although good and interesting jobs have been important to how I view myself. If I had to name the most important thing, it would be to be a good parent.

But I am hard worker, as well -- loyal, creative, collaborative, loving to be part of a team.

I also like to be part of a team in romance. That matters too -- a lot.

Like I implied above, time waits for none of us, but sweeps in changes whether we want them or not. I'm in the special position, right now, of wanting change -- lots of change, in 2011. And sure enough, those changes are coming...

-30-

No comments: