Monday, March 21, 2011

Do you like chocolate? If so, c'mon over...

The reason my apartment smells like chocolate these days is my daughter's science project is about how fast different types of chocolate melt.

I was dreading having to tell her some bad news today when I picked her up at school. Her dog-walking job has come to a sudden end since the man who was paying her to take care of his two dogs is now unemployed, and therefore no longer able to pay her to walk them.

She may have been disappointed when I told her, but if so, she did a pretty good job of hiding it. She now, as she pointed out to me, is freer to start her homework earlier, and also no longer has to go by Bernal when I fetch her from school but can come straight to my place, where she now spends every afternoon, since her Mom has taken a job.

As the parent of a 12-year-old girl, I have to admit I am always getting surprised. First, by her maturity; second, by her inner strength; and third, by her perspective on things.

Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention when my older daughters were this age (though I think I was), but the ways in which boys and girls diverge at this point is about a lot more than sex, gender expectations, or emotional growth.

There is no way for me to generalize in a manner that anyone else would agree with, so I'll leave it at this -- females mature in ways that are much more about us than about me.

With boys, it often, though not always, is a different story. They key is empathy, an under-rated quality if there ever was one.

Then again, an empathic boy is every bit as impressive by this age as any girl. Perhaps even more so, given the built-in gender differences that this post explores. But I am not talking about my sons tonight, only my daughters...

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

I love reading of your children- they are indeed wonderful! Your daughter's positive attitude will take her far in life.

What a blessing for you to have such great children!

As for the chocolate- although not a chocolate fan- I do love the smell of chocolate (and coffee). I hope her science project goes well.