Friday, March 18, 2011

These do not really sound like situations under control...

...at least not to me.


TOKYO (Reuters)Japanese engineers conceded on Friday that burying a crippled nuclear plant in sand and concrete may be a last resort to prevent a catastrophic radiation release, the method used to seal huge leakages from Chernobyl in 1986...

It was the first time the facility operator had acknowledged burying the sprawling complex was possible, a sign that piecemeal actions such as dumping water from military helicopters or scrambling to restart cooling pumps may not work.


***

In other news, somehow the UN Security Council finally got around to agreeing on a no-fly zone over Libya, although it appears it may be too late to prevent Gadhafi from destroying his opposition.

Maybe I'm just in a surly mood, but I'd rather like to see the U.S. and whatever allies it can muster -- France, Britain, maybe some Arab country or another -- go in and bomb Gadhafi's castle to rubble.

I think it is time for him to experience a meltdown; he is a toxic threat to his people as much as radiation is to the Japanese. What good are all these expensive weapons we keep financing with our tax dollars of we can't just take out a creep like him?

I know. I know. Imperialism, the mistakes in Iraq, forcing democracy or our idea of it on others, and so on. Like I said, maybe I'm just in the mood for a fight. Maybe a lot of us are. Maybe we should be. Maybe sometimes you just do what is right and take whatever heat that's necessary, because that is the kind of person you are. Or the kind of people you are.

Or, alternatively, we could all just sit back and continue to watch this all as if it were just another TV show.

-30-

2 comments:

Anjuli said...

So true- the more they say things are under control- the more evidence points to the fact they are not in control of the situation with the reactors.

*Forgive me for misunderstanding your intent in the last post- I stand corrected.

Anonymous said...

I know. It is not under control at all. I am very concerned. I don't know how much longer people can stay calm in Japan... S.