Thursday, September 22, 2011

Wakeful Dreamings

Summer is here while most people experience fall, but that's San Francisco for you. It was 95 the other day when I was in Palo Alto; 80-something yesterday in downtown SF. This morning's fog was cool but burned off quickly enough for sunbathing by those so inclined (there are a few around here) by late morning.

But I was writing and watching over my sick child, who called not long after being dropped at school at 7, having thrown up. So, back across town and back home again. After a day of rest, hopefully, tomorrow will be a day to get back to school and catch up.

I've been gathering the apples that fall in great volume in my backyard. They're not really edible, unless you are starving, but letting them lie there only leads to a rotten experience underfoot.

Still, I found one large green one that was pretty good today. Maybe I should gather up a bushel and try cooking something with them.

So many meetings, so many posts to write. So many stories to try and tell, few of which are my own. The best I can do on a blog like this is hint around at the things that really bother me, or inspire me, or visit me in the night.

There is one persistent dream that puzzles me. Someone is still with me who for quite a while has not been. Yet there she is. I don't get it; I don't understand why these dreams keep happening.

What am I supposed to do with this information? How I am to react?

As long, fitful bouts of sleep give way to the darkness of morning (no early sunrises any longer, now the seasonal pivot has occurred), I awake in confusion as to what and who is real or ever was, as opposed to who or what is fake and always was.

Or maybe that's a false choice, too absolute. Maybe, all was and will be gray, cloaked in illusion, much as the city is when it's bathed in fog. You cannot see very far, and what you do see is hazy -- more like an outline than anything tangible or real.

Grasping for pith from shadows is most certainly a dangerous exercise. What, for example, if there was something or someone there after all?

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

I do hope your child gets to feeling better- it is never fun being sick. Glad she has you in her life.

Dreams are always intriguing- sorting through our unconscious fears, desires, and hopes. Our way of dealing with sub conscious things we haven't been able to properly file away.