Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Fight Is On

The largest ship to ever enter San Francisco Bay or any U.S. port, steamed through the Golden Gate late yesterday. It's almost a quarter-mile long and the containers it carries, if stacked end on end, would stretch for 50 miles across land. I tried to glimpse it as I drove around high points last night, but it was cloaked by our relentless fog.

Later, we got some very bad news. Long-time readers will remember the damaging IRS audit that so disrupted my life two years ago. Yesterday, my ex-wife got the news that the IRS is once again, inconceivably, auditing her 2009 tax return.

This, less than a week after she was hospitalized and while she continues to be under ongoing medical evaluation to make sure she will be okay, once her present problems are treated.

Our kids, to their credit, didn't panic at this latest bad turn of news, even though they all remember how much trauma the last audit caused.

For my part, I just tried to reassure everyone that we will come out of this fine. I will fight the IRS once again, and I will prevail.

I cannot express, however, how much these senseless audits have caused me to come to hate my own government. Why us? We've done nothing wrong. I thought that that was proved last time around.

Apparently, being honest, hard-working parents with professions that are not well-paid means you are easy prey for government bureaucrats looking to make an easy buck off helpless victims, as they meet their quotas.

My ex-wife is weakened by illness and stress, and meanwhile I am the one good with numbers. So they may be auditing her, but the IRS is confronting me.

Fuck you, IRS! We'll see who wins this round.

-30-

No comments: