Monday, April 23, 2012

Prom Night Aftermath

Note: I am sorry for the way this blog is displaying. Blogger has changed ts interface and has some issues to work out, obviously. Hopefully, my messages will still come through, despite the run-on appearance, over which I have no control.
For his first prom, my 17-year-old rented the traditional tuxedo after playing soccer far south of here yesterday. Like all parents, I'm sure, I was both excited and worried for him. Before seeing him off, I stuffed some money in his pocket, in case he needed a taxi home sometime during the long night ahead. Today, at lunch with him and his slightly younger brother (a student of the future), he described the evening. As often is the case with teens around here, their "after-prom" party in a hotel room was shut down quickly by the front desk, as was the next one, and so on. Luckily, he'd kept his cab money and at around 4 am, he made his way home to his Mom's. Around these parts, proms seem to be losing their luster, or maybe it's been that way for a while. I have to admit I wouldn't know the historical context, never having attended one. But as I told him, I was glad he went. It's better to experience these things than sit them out. "I think I'll sit mine out," said the younger brother. "You're way too much like me," I replied. -30-

No comments: