Thursday, August 02, 2012

Boys and Girls at the Movies

There's a scene in "Dark Knight Rising," the latest Batman movie, where our hero impossibly escapes from a prison that is, literally, a deep hole in a desert far, far away.

One scene later, he is back in New York to avert an unimaginable nuclear disaster from destroying "Gotham."

On our way back home from the movie tonight, my daughter asked the obvious question, "Wait, how did he get back to New York?"

The boys got mad at her for this, so I intervened, perhaps a bit too strongly.

"Everything about this movie is fiction. None of it is possible. So the filmmakers don't have to solve issues like that. Of course, a guy in some remote place, without money or a passport, could not get a flight to the U.S., but nothing else that happened in the movie was realistic -- or even possible -- either."

The boys got mad at this, but I had to defend my daughter's questioning, as she tried to figure out the strange missing links in the story.

She brought up more, I agreed with her, but all too son it was time to drop them all off at their Mom's house, and for me to drive away into the night in silence.

As I did so, I thought about boys' fantasies vs. girls' fantasies.

Boys' logic vs. girls' logic.

There is a lot more to be said about all of this.

-30-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed. And I can't wait to hear it -- the difference in logic. I just ran into this last night and need to hear more, please. Thank you.