Sunday, September 16, 2012

Safer Drivers in Training

Today my 18-year-old and I resumed his driving lessons, after a very long hiatus. He did quite well, down there on the flats next to the Bay on Illinois Street.

Teaching someone to drive, in my view, is a sacred responsibility. As the driver sits behind the wheel of a vehicle, he or she could easily end another person's life, not by purpose but just by making a mistake.

Cognizant of this, as a teacher, I counsel caution, maintaining slow speeds, alertness, and never being unprepared for the unexpected.

Not that I think I am a good teacher. But, as a cautious person by nature, I try to pass that along to my students.

I suppose I have two more drivers to teach, before the end of my time. Today, it was gratifying to see how much my son has retained after a very long gap since the last time he drove with me.

He is my nature a careful person. Today he did well. We'll move on from here, from the uncrowded flat streets next to the Bay like Illinois Street, to more challenging places soon enough.

My goal is to let him join the world of drivers as one of the safer ones. We need those!

No comments: