Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Last Time Like This For a Century

Today, as we rounded the hill atop Bernal Heights at 8 a.m., the kids in the carpool and I noticed it had started raining, even though we were bathed in sunlight. "There must be a rainbow," I said out loud, though the kids were, as usual, plugged into their headsets, listening to music, even as I listened to NPR on the car radio, so nobody heard me.

"Wow!" was the collective response, theirs and mine, and we cleared the ridge and a gorgeous full rainbow framed our entire view westward.

It turns out they were paying attention, if not to me, to the environment around us.

Later, I mumbled something about today being 12/12/12. Once again, I doubt anyone was listening, but the point I tried to make was that this is the last time such a numerical date will occur in this century, since there is no 13th month, at least on the Western calendar.

In 89 years, we will again start a twelve year period when we experience another 1/1/1 to 12/12/12 sequence, but that's a long time away.

Alas, nobody was listening.

=30-

No comments: