Monday, April 22, 2013

Biggie the Family Cat, R.I.P.

He stopped eating after Saturday and by the time I got him to the pet hospital today, Biggie had lost a third of his weight. He was listless, ungroomed, and very weak.  After an examination, they told me he had developed diabetes, a rare but known side effect of the steroids he was taking. There was no positive prognosis, no matter what I chose to do.

After school, I took all three teens (plus Aidan's girlfriend) to the hospital, where we visited with our pet for the final time. After 30 minutes, the three teens and I decided it was time, and the vet came in. Aidan held Biggie, and Julia and Dylan petted him as he first was given a sedative, then the fatal injection. He died almost instantly.

The four of us just sat there, crying silently. It was the saddest room for us in a long time. I drove them home to their Mom's at Bernal, came back here, and wrote this post.

Rest in peace, little guy.

-30-

No comments: