Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Warm Holiday Wishes


Easing into the Thanksgiving holiday, one of my favorites when I can be with family. This year I can be, The teens and I will drive up to Sacramento Thursday morning and spend that night with a large group of our family, including all six of my kids, all five grandchildren, my son-in-law, Loic, and a few other relatives and friends.

Today, my youngest's latest order from an online outlet arrived -- including a cozy sweatshirt she is very proud of and her first watch.

Think about that -- a watch. She bought a big, golden colored watch with real numbers, because she (and her whole generation) have no idea how to read a watch without numbers.

This is a good lesson about technology. My generation grew up with pre-digital watches and clocks. Of course we knew how to read the time whether the numbers were there or not.

Julia's generation does not know how to do that. Some critical information is missing for them. She said that although she could not find a watch featuring all of the numbers, this one has enough that she can figure out the rest.

We've all looked at interfaces like that.

Happy Thanksgiving. Happy Hanukkah. They are more or less converging (Hanukkah starts tomorrow night) but won't again for 78,000 years.

-30-

No comments: