Saturday, December 28, 2013

History's Echoes in a Garage

I spent most of today helping other friends clean out boxes and boxes of papers from my late friend Raul's garage in Berkeley. It was a sobering experience, as I have been trying to get rid of my stuff for years now, and have succeeded in reducing the pure volume of material by maybe 25 percent.

But what should be saved? And who should decide?

Pack-rats like Raul and me save all sorts of things, some trivial, some no doubt important from some perspectives.

A century from now all of this would be invaluable. Now?

Among the things I found was an old rolodex from the '80s. My home number was in there from where I lived at the time -- in the Haight.

I also found a paper written by one of Raul's students at SF State 28 years ago. She is now a senior editor at the station.

Plus a copy of "Raising Hell," the textbook Dan Noyes and I wrote 32 years ago. Raul had it marked for use in the classes he was already teaching three decades ago at SF State.

-30-

No comments: