Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day


My mother's life was so different from mine, spanning the years 1915-2002. Born in a village in Scotland, arriving here as a schoolchild, a teenager in the Depression, Valedictorian of her large inner-city high school in Detroit, not allowed to go to college by her father, and a mother and divorced by age 19.

She raised me to at least know the rudimentary skills of cooking, cleaning and clothes washing, though I've never excelled at any of those.

Today I'm thinking of her and all of the other mothers past and present who do so much to shape the lives of their children, for better and for worse.

It's a tough job. I've got two adult daughters who are among the best Moms I've ever observed in action. Between them they are raising four boys and two girls, day in and day out. One is a single Mom, the hardest state of all.

This may be a symbolic holiday in many ways but a good day to remember the people who matter to us all the most.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone who is a Mom and everyone who has had one. That would be all of us.

-30-

No comments: