Saturday, August 23, 2014

New Times Back Home

Now the boys are off to Missoula, Julia and I decided it was time for a makeover of my ancient flat. This building is around 134 years old -- twice as old as I am -- and it often shows signs of its age. Lately the landlady has paid for a bunch of work to shore up the back, which was filled with dry rot, but inside, things were pretty shabby too.

So I took my daughter on a shopping spree today. She and I have both been missing her brothers, and 1,142 miles northeast of here, they are missing us.

First we bought her a new mattress, a futon that must be a foot and a half thick. It is so comfortable she picked it out of a dozen alternatives the minute she sat down on it.

Then we went to Ross and she picked out a comforter, sheets, pillow cases, a new pillow, a new lamp and one of the fuzzy blankets she loves.

And oh yes a new top.

As for me I bought a box of Meyer Lemon tea. Those are the large sweet lemons native to this area. If you've never tasted one, you've missed a treat.

In the spirit of finding small ways to reorient life at a time of transition, I have found a cup of tea can do wonders.

Finally, we went to the grocery market and filled our cart with the foods that Julia loves, which in some cases are quite different from those her brothers prefer. My refrigerator looks a bit different tonight and this is the way it will continue to look until the boys come home for the holidays in December.

-30-

No comments: