Sunday, July 12, 2015

Communications

It is strange to be 68 years old, surrounded by sophisticated technology, but living alone -- except of course when my kids visit. The boys will be over later today, and I will cook Dylan's fav -- spaghetti -- once again. This time I have fresh garlic, basil, and onions on hand.

I love to cook for my children and grandchildren.

I used to love to cook with my girlfriends, back when I had girlfriends. My Chinese GF taught me how to prepare food, Chinese-style. My Japanese GF taught me how to cook, Japanese-style.

Japanese people believe that modest amounts of meat are best, so they rarely cook things like the huge American steaks popular in this country. Instead they take small slices of meat, often pork (flavorful), with spices and rice and sauces, and create delicious meals.

They also love fish, and will find creative ways to use even the smallest fishes -- tiny dried fishlets.

One way or another, I have never had a Japanese meal that was not delicious. Here in this house, I have never had a home-cooked Chinese meal that was not delicious.

In between those two friends, my American GF didn't like to cook, so we often ordered out. She had her favorite places and we usually ordered from one of them. Rather than have food delivered, we usually picked it up, if my memory serves.

Surrounded by sophisticated technology, I am no loner in touch with any of these women -- they have all disappeared over the years. I have very little idea what any of them might be up to. So, for me, my world of communication regarding past partners is pretty much just radio silence.

In the radio business, we call that "dead air."

Into that silence for me flood the memories, and then the most basic of needs -- food. I can't wait to start cooking...

-30-

No comments: