Saturday, August 15, 2015

Saturday Musing

I suppose in the end we are all simply the sum or our memories, fantasies, dreams and accomplishments. We probably have photos and journals and other evidence of how we felt in the moment, and as I age, I find these old things more and more valuable.

Real-time living is much trickier.

But this morning was a good morning, with all three younger kids here. Aidan cooked himself his specialty breakfast -- egg yokes, egg whites, and ground turkey.

Dylan had some cereal.

Julia had sourdough toast.

I has coffee and tea.

Aidan is trying to figure out his major at Missoula -- nutrition, physical therapy, etc. The problem with the latter, which is current choice, is it requires a ton of difficult physics, chemistry and math courses. (I'm not sure why.)

The good thing is he recognizes this coming fall semester will be challenging for him and he needs to develop some new study habits. He is considering joining a study group or getting a tutor.

To me those things are evidence of a maturity that may have been lacking in the past.

Julia is, of course, about to go off to boarding school. I miss her already. We will have a family send-off dinner Tuesday night. I cannot tell whether she is scared, excited or both.

Dylan has decided to *not* take community college courses but to get a job. I  am grateful he will be around this fall, because I always love our conversations and he is a great helper.

Sadly, I have grown old and feeble. It is so difficult to do the things I used to do. I knew this day would arrive but I'd hoped it would be later than age 68. That did not prove to be the case.

Then again, today, I did the wash, the dishes, and some business duties. So I guess I am not done yet!

-30-

No comments: