Saturday, January 09, 2016

On the Road Again

It felt like the old days -- Aidan and I early on a Saturday driving to a distant venue in Northern California for a soccer game or tournament. But this time it was to help him join his mother and sister for a weekend vacation at Asilomar, on the coast south of Monterey. He had to work until midnight last night so we left the city, fortified by coffee and him by a breakfast burrito, by 10:30.

It is a long drive, about 125 miles, and we passed Morgan Hill and the stadium where he played many games back when he was competing.

Using GPS we met Julia and Connie at a Mexican restaurant, Peppers, in Pacific Grove. After that, I headed north without my navigator.

I should say I have a terrible sense of direction and have lost whatever confidence I used to have I can find my way on the road. Everyone drives so fast and the various parts of the route come up too fast and confusingly.

But Aidan set my phone for the ride home and it worked seamlessly.

Nearing the coty, I had an awful realization that last April my accountant told me I had to submit quarterly payments to the IRS for the 2015 tax year. I checked my tax file and while I paid in April, I forgot to in July and October. Luckily, January is due next week.

So I will have hit two for four and I'm sure there will be some sort of penalty. These are the kinds of complications that make people hate the tax system!

Poor Dylan has had a bad cold and so many work assignments he could not go to Asilomar, but at least today I could drop off the Beatles' Abbey Road in vinyl for him.

-30-

No comments: