Friday, December 02, 2016

Julia Meets Bernie

Quite a day. We had a Facebook Live broadcast with Bernie Sanders today on our Forum program. It went an hour.

My youngest came to KQED to watch it with me and she got quite a surprise. I was giving her a tour of the building when we noticed a crowd of maybe 20 employees gathered at the window at the east end of the second floor (where the newsroom is.)

We decided to go down there and just as we arrived, a car pulled up to the building's entrance below as we were watching through a window.

"There he is!" someone shouted. Most everyone pulled out their cellphones and started snapping pictures.

We then gathered near the elevators and stairs, not knowing which way he would come up.

Elevator. He emerged to cheers and cameras snapping. He then walked up to each and every one of us to say hello and shake our hand. After he greeted me he shook Julia's hand and said hello to her. She broke into a broad smile and pretty much kept smiling the rest of her visit.

When he was finished with Forum, he proceeded across the floor to our TV studio, amid dozens more KQED employees, where he appeared on KQED Newsroom, one of the programs I manage. Julia was for a time in the control room with me. it was packed.

Back to the Facebook Live, views and interactions are still coming in, but already the numbers by afternoon were great:  1,529,000 reach and 189,797 views. We expect those numbers to go up a lot over the weekend.

Best of all for me? I got to seem a little bit cool for a change in the eyes of my 18-year-old.

-30-

No comments: