Saturday, May 12, 2018

Voting

This morning I filled out my ballot and dropped it in the mail. Thanks to being a journalist, I know some of the local, state and national candidates and have met others.

At a time like this, when we have a would-be dictator at President, voting becomes especially important. It is the main way we can exercise our rights. And perhaps save our democracy.

***

This was another emotional week. I am not going to go into the details except in one case. I was on a phone call with one of my reporters as she interviewed a young woman who alleges she was sexually abused.

It was my role to explain to her we had to contact her alleged abuser. That is our journalistic and legal obligation. As I told her that, she started sobbing -- she didn't want us to talk to him.

I felt horrible -- obviously this news had triggered her.

It is often not easy being a journalist. This was one of those times. But eventually we were able to help her calm herself and by the end of the call she said she understood why we had to do this.

-30-

No comments: