Saturday, June 02, 2018

Passing Comments

As I shuffle to and from work on weekdays, I try to nod and say hello to as many passersby as I can. But it has become harder lately as I have balance issues and have to avoid tripping on the many uneven sidewalk cracks on the route.

I cross York, 18th, 19th and 20th day after day. I count the streets off as I cross them, as in "two down, two to go."

Nobody warned me that aging would be like this, but I accept it as it is. I no longer drive my car; all I do is move it from one side of the street to the other to avoid parking tickets.

***

The other day, as I rounded the corner to get to my house, my way was partially blocked by three street people -- rough-looking and shabbily dressed. One had a rolling suitcase and a large plastic bag; another had a bicycle.

The guy with the bag saw me approaching and started to move it -- I waved him off and veered around a tree to keep going.

"How are you guys doing?" I asked.

They nodded and said "fine. Then one of them, noting my long flowing white hair, said "You look like Einstein."

"I'm not that smart," I replied.

Also I lack the mustache.  :)

No comments: