Friday, March 15, 2019

Like an Iceberg

There were three of us who were the principal founders of CIR -- Lowell Bergman, Dan Noyes and me. All men.

But Tamara Baltar also played a key role as our first administrator. In those days men got the credit while women did the grunt work.

Thank god the world has changed somewhat since then. I have always hoped my three daughters would every much the opportunities than my three sons have.

Dan, Tamara and I have been in touch this week about tributes to Lowell. As I told Dan: "We've reached the age when memories swamp any future expectations."

That's part of what it is to be old. The future is like the tip of an iceberg. Most of your life is below sea-level.

The past is a tricky thing. As I contemplate crafting my memoir, I have to resist any impulse to romanticize the past. Times were often difficult. The fact I was successful at times obscures what it took to be so.

I guess I'll have to figure out that balance...
-30-

No comments: