Friday, November 29, 2019

Thanksgiving Outing

Aidee picked me up and took me to a friend's house on Bernal, where I saw lots of long-time friends and their kids. Most of the parents are folks we first knew as members of playgroups, etc. The kids are now in their 20s.

I was having a shaky day, literally, maybe because I'd stopped taking my PD medicine.

But back home I recovered at night after taking a pill.

There's no rain but it felt like rain in the night. There is a certain portentous feel to our weather.

***

I've been thinking a lot about the nature of memory. It is so selective and individual. I suppose any one person's memory is as valid as any other's. Of course, as I struggle to resume my memoir, this is on my mind.

Once we get to our 70s, there are decades of memory -- seven to be precise. That amounts to thousands of memories. I'm having a technical issue with processing my memories for now, which should resolve itself soon.

It seems natural, as we àge, that we look back over our lives. That is what I am doing.

I woke up early (4:45) and feel good today. Grateful to be alive. Today is my sister Carole's birthday. She went with me to the hospital in February, the first of this year's visits.

It's odd.  Frankly, everything is odd. That I've gotten so old. That I am retired. That I don't need to be anywhere at any particular time. I do dread when I have to go out. The next thing I am dreading is my neurological appointment December 10th. I do not want to go to that.

Maybe we'll have a big rainstorm and I can delay it again.

What struck me yesterday about watching my sons and their friends is how funny and energetic they all are, After all I was that old guy stuck in a chair in the corner, just observing. I remember old people at holidays in my youth. it is really, really hard when you are young to comprehend what it is like to be old. Of course, Aidan is different -- he gets it.

But they have to deal with climate change! Maybe that's why they are the way they are. There's nothing funny about that so they have to be funny.

I know a thing or two about that.

-30-

No comments: